Adjustment Disorders - White River Junction VA Medical Center, Vermont
Attention A T users. To access the menus on this page please perform the following steps. 1. Please switch auto forms mode to off. 2. Hit enter to expand a main menu option (Health, Benefits, etc). 3. To enter and activate the submenu links, hit the down arrow. You will now be able to tab or arrow up or down through the submenu options to access/activate the submenu links.

White River Junction VA Medical Center, Vermont


Adjustment Disorders

What is an Adjustment Disorder?

An adjustment disorder is a psychological response to an identifiable stressor or stressors that causes significant impairment in a person's life.  The stressor can be one or more events which occur once, are recurrent or continuous.  The person may experience significant emotional distress, have difficulty in social or occupational functioning, or both.  Often a person will experience symptoms of depression, anxiety, and/or a disturbance in conduct during the course of an adjustment disorder.  Adjustment disorders are often brief in duration. 

Treatments Available at White River Junction, VT VA

Individual Psychological Interventions – Individual therapy with a male or female clinician is available.  For many individuals, therapy can be completed in the Primary Mental Health Clinic (PMHC).  If needed, referrals for additional services can be made by our PMHC providers.

Couples or Family Therapy – Therapists are available to help couples and families address problems related to the stressor or stressors.

Group Therapy – Many groups are available at the White River Junction VA.  There are open groups, which are available to all veterans and do not require a referral to attend.  There are also closed groups which require a referral to attend. 

How to access services

To receive services, please go to the Primary Mental Health Clinic (PMHC), our walk-in clinic located in Primary Care.  Hours:  Monday-Friday 8:00AM-4:00PM.  The phone number for the PMHC is 1-802-295-9363 ext. 6132.