White River Junction VA Medical Center, Vermont
Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
What is PTSD?
PTSD is an anxiety disorder. It can occur after a person has been through or witnessed an event that is horrible or scary, such as:
• sexual abuse
• other assault
• terrorist attacks
• serious accidents
• natural disasters
What are the Symptoms of PTSD?
• re-experiencing the traumatic event through nightmares, flashbacks, or triggered memories
• physiological arousal leading to irritability, difficulty concentrating or sleeping
• avoiding people, places, and feelings associated with the trauma
Sometimes, people who have these symptoms also have other concerns such as depression, traumatic brain injury, substance use problems, insomnia, other anxiety problems, and/or difficulty with relationships at home or work.
PTSD Treatments Available at White River Junction, VT VA
Individual Psychological Interventions – We currently offer the following individual interventions. Both male and female providers are available.
• exposure therapy
• cognitive processing therapy
• dialectical behavior therapy
• nightmare re-scripting
• skills-focused cognitive behavioral therapy
• combined PTSD and substance use therapy
• relationship-focused therapy
• Phase-oriented dynamic psychotherapy
Couples or Family Therapy – Therapists are available to help couples and families.
Group Therapy – Many groups are available at the White River Junction VA. There are open groups, which are available to all veterans and do not require a referral to attend. There are also closed groups which require a referral to attend.
Medications – The PTSD team has two psychiatrists who specialize in the use of medications to help veterans manage PTSD and its symptoms.
For More information visit the National Center for PTSD (NCPTSD) Website
How to Access Services
To receive PTSD services, please go to the Primary Mental Health Clinic, our walk-in clinic located in Primary Care.
Hours: Monday-Friday 8:00AM-4:00PM
The phone number for the PMHC is 1-802-295-9363 ext. 6132.